Senior Staff Mechanical Engineer
- Position Type: Exempt
Do you love lasers and want to develop innovative Medical Devices? We are seeking an outstanding mechanical engineer to join our mechanical engineering team and support development of novel medical devices and applications. Projects involve a broad range of technologies including sophisticated laser optical delivery systems, high-power ultrasound, and radio-frequency devices. This diversity of technologies and our culture of organic innovation and vertical integration provides a unique opportunity for an individual with broad interests and skills.
In this role you will design and development precision opto-mechanical assemblies for laser systems, structural frames, thermal management systems, and industrial designs. The engineer will work closely with our electrical and laser design teams and be responsible for product development from ideation through product launch. Previous experience with product development is required, preferably in the medical device or laser industry.
- Contribute to new product concept development activities, including definition of product requirements, system specifications, and architecture.
- Define and guide development of elegant mechanical designs that meet requirements for product performance, cost, reliability, and manufacturability.
- Develop designs for all phases of product development from proof-of-concept through manufacturing.
- Drive design verification by testing design performance in the lab and design validation by developing fast-turn clinical prototypes for use in the Research Clinic.
- Collaborate regularly to technical design reviews, project scheduling, and development of new product concepts and applications.
- Use FEA simulation tools to model mechanical assemblies and guide design development.
- Mechanical engineering design experienced in capital equipment, laser, or medical device. Experience with SolidWorks and SW PD is helpful.
- Experience in dynamic mechanical design required. Experience with actuation assemblies such as laser beam scanning systems, translation and rotation stages is a plus.
- Experienced in design of opto-mechanical assemblies. Knowledge of strain-free mounting techniques for optics using adhesives is a plus.
- Strong understanding of GD&T principles and ability to evaluate and apply them to precision mechanical designs.
- Extensive knowledge of leading manufacturing technologies including plastic injection molding, sheet metal manufacturing, and high precision machining.
- Strong communication skills and ability to make design recommendations based on collaboration with other teams (Engineering, Clinical, Manufacturing, Quality, and Regulatory).
- Ability to apply FEA simulation tools to develop designs by correlating simulation results with empirical test data. Experience with thermal FEA tools is strongly preferred.
- Experience modeling thermal management systems such as air and water cooled heat exchangers and thermoelectric coolers.
- Basic working knowledge, electronics, optics, and numerical data analysis (Excel, Matlab, or equivalent) required. Data acquisition skills such as LabView is a plus.
- Experience with Arena PDM and Microsoft Project is a plus.
- Familiarity with FDA Quality Systems Regulations/Design Control requirements, IEC 60601 compliance standards, or ISO14971 Risk Management requirements is a plus.
Education & Experience:
- B.S. or M.S. degree in mechanical engineering with 15+ years of product development experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of product design with similar electro-mechanical or opto-mechanical complexity